Call for Presentations for NZNOG 2008: Systems Administration Mini-Conference
We will be holding a network systems administration mini-conference in Dunedin, New Zealand on Wednesday 2008-01-23, as part of the New Zealand Network Operators' Group 2008 conference http://2008.nznog.org/.
The NZNOG 2008 conference will be held between 2008-01-23 and 2008-01-25.
Registration at the NZNOG 2008 conference is a mandatory prerequisite for
attendance at the mini-conference; we expect there will be no additional charge.
Note: A similar Mini-conference will be held in Melbourne, Australia, a week later as part of linux.conf.au 2008.
The mini-conference's focus is on "Layer 7" issues to do with network and ISP operations, including providing customer services (email, DNS, etc) The mini-conference's focus is on "Layer 7" issues to do with network and ISP operations, including providing customer services (email, DNS, etc) and provisioning and management topics.
We are now seeking proposals for presentations at the mini-conference. We have openings for:
- 50-60 minute full presentations
- 25-30 minute half presentations
- 5-10 minute "lightning talks"
- 5-10 minute "How we do things" presentations
Presentations are expected to be directed at a technical audience, and focused on a system administration area related to network or ISP operations.
Some possible topics:
- Email servers and spam filtering techniques
- DNS servers, registry systems
- server security and best sysadmin practices in an Internet provider environment
- VoIP servers
- network management / monitoring tools
- Netflow, routing, and traffic analysis tools
- server tuning for high performance networking
- provisioning tools
- honeypots and other security techniques
- network based storage
- high availability and disaster recovery for network services
- virtual machine technology for network services
- *nix based routing and fire-walling
- tools you need that you may not know about
We are happy to discuss the suitability of other topics with intending presenters.
The 10 minute "How we do things" presentations are intended for people to talk about their sites. Information could include: Servers, talks, tools, people and roles, experiences, software, operating systems, monitoring, alerting, provisioning etc. The intent is to give other attendees a picture of what is happening in the "real world" and some understanding of how other sites work and how to interact with them.
- Proposals due by 2007-11-19
- Selection advised by 2007-11-27
- Draft program published by 2007-11-30
- Presentations 2008-01-23
Please send all proposals and questions to talks08 @ nznog.miniconf.org
Andrew McMillan, Ewen McNeill and Simon Lyall (Conveners)